Burkina Faso Coup: Outrage Over Military Take Over
Based on reports by CNN, Burkina Faso’s military has declared it’s in control of the nation after presidential guards stormed a Cabinet meeting and seized the President and the Prime Minister — days before the general elections.
Guards detained interim President Michel Kafando and other government ministers during the raid in the capital Wednesday, the United Nations said.
It’s unclear where the guards took the President, Prime Minister Isaac Zida and the other officials.
Hours after their detention, an unidentified military official took to the airwaves Thursday and said the military has “decided to put an end to the deviant transitional regime.”
The official announced that Gilbert Diendere, an ex-general and adviser to former President Blaise Compaore, is the new leader.
The interim government failed to establish a “democracy based on consensus,” the military official said on national television.
The official highlighted a series of steps the military is undertaking that include removing the transitional president from office, dissolving the government and forming a broad coalition that will focus on policies that will lead to inclusive elections.
The United Nations condemned the leaders’ detention.
“This incident is a flagrant violation of Burkina Faso’s constitution and transitional charter,” U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon said in a statement. “The United Nations stands firmly behind the transitional authorities and President Kafando.”
French President Francois Hollande appealed for the leaders’ release and the reinstatement of the transitional authorities.
Days before the raid in Ouagadougou, a commission had recommended the disbanding of the presidential guard unit, which is loyal to Compaore, the former president. Compaore was in charge of the presidential guards during his decades in power,
Protester toppled Compaore last year after he expressed a desire to extend his 27-year rule. He stepped down after days of mass protests and the military briefly took over before Kafando was appointed.
Burkina Faso is scheduled to hold general elections on October 11.
Meanwhile, according to PM News, outrage has continued to greet the military take-over of the government in the country. The United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon expressed his disappointment over the coup; he therefore calls for the immediate release of the leaders.
Mr Ki-Moon official statement reads, “This incident is a flagrant violation of Burkina Faso’s Constitution and Transitional Charter”.
In the same way, the United States also called for the immediate release of the interim president, prime minister.
The statement released by the State Department spokesperson, John Kirby reads, “The United States strongly condemns any attempt to seize power through extra-constitutional means or resolve internal political disagreements using force.”
Also, there were protests outside the country’s presidential palace. The soldiers however fired gun to disperse the protesters and forced the radio and television to stop from broadcasting.
Moumina Cheriff Sy, the speaker of the transitional parliament, Moumina Cheriff Sy, described the coup as “a blow to the republic and its institutions”.
Posted by Janice Johnson