Lagos gridlock: Umahi orders re-opening of Independence Bridge

Following the debilitating gridlock in the Victoria-Island-Ikoyi-Lekki axis on Wednesday,the Federal Government has announced the immediate re-opening of the Independence Bridge (Ahmadu Bello Way-Marina bound) to vehicular traffic.
The Minister of Works, Sen. Dave Umahi, announced this in a statement by the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mrs Olukorede Kesha, on Wednesday.
The government had announced the closure of the bridge starting from April 1 for essential maintenance and rehabilitation works. It was to remain closed until May.
However, in the statement, Umahi said that necessary repair work on the bridge would be carried out later.
He said that palliative works were underway to ensure that the bridge would be motorable.
He regretted inconveniences caused to the motoring public by the closure, and appealed for understanding and cooperation.
Announcement
The Federal Government had earlier announced the closure of the Independence Bridge (Marina bound) starting April 1 for essential maintenance and rehabilitation works.
The Federal Controller of Works, Lagos, Mrs Olukorede Kesha, made this known in a statement on Monday in Lagos.
She explained that the bridge would remain closed until the end of May 2025.
According to her, the closure will affect traffic traveling from Ahmadu Bello Way and Adeola Odeku towards Marina, Eko Bridge, and Onikan by Zone 2.
Kesha advised motorists to plan their journeys accordingly and use alternative routes to avoid traffic congestion during the repair period.
She apologised for any inconvenience the closure might cause and thanked the public for their understanding and cooperation as the government worked to ensure the safety and stability of road infrastructure.